Sunday, November 11

A passionate affair

Dear Diary

I was talking to Sonu today, and he asked me a question out of the blue... He was like 'what do u want to do in life? Whats your one dream?' then he was like 'Get married, have a happy family, support ur family...right?' and I was like ,'Nope, Yes I do want all that, but thats my desire, my need, my want, but definitely not my dream.. My dream is too serve you that dish, which can make u go feel hungry, even after having a Gourmet cuisine... My dream is to make your food, an experience, not a fancy... My dream is to make you Live to Eat, and not Eat to Live... So jaan, its my restaurant...' and he was like, ' Ahhh!!! so thats what you doing, making your passion your work, so that u never work again...' God!! when will my baby use his original dialogues...Sonu will always copy my dialogues, and will say, 'am learning from the great, consider it my lesson well learnt...' Then very suddenly he was like, 'Why do u love cooking so much?'

And right then he had to hang up, but he gave me fodder for thought...'Yeah I had told you, thinking is such a waste of time, but what to do, an empty brain is devil's workshop, and am the devils advocate, so I can't let my employer stray, can I?

I have been cooking since I was 5...Before that, I remember when Ma used to go in the kitchen to make dinner, I always tagged behind her like an uncute chimp, or an assistant... I distinctly remember Ma hauling me up on the kitchen counter and then cooking... Watching my mom cook, is more than just an experience, you get introduced to a new concept, which is called creating tangible love... Ma's a Bible for cooking...the way she'd cook was mechanical, perfect to a fault, with every ingredient knowing its work, like when you have a party at home, and invite people over, the entire family has their task divided...and everyone performs to the best of their ability, why to make the party a success, and why that? well to have that sense of deja` vu, that feeling of accomplishment, that benchmark which u need to break to climb higher... Well that was just the conspiracy hatched by Ma and her ingredients...

For me it was a more than just a hobby or passion...It meant heritage...I dont strange that I call it heritage, but somehow I feel this is what my Ma passed on to me, that this my tribute to her skills, my homage...
Apart from that, (u know am a little emotional when it comes to Ma, and my relation with her :), so am scared nazar na lag jaaye, isiliye I dont discuss it a lot..), just the thought of creating a dish which essentially makes u forgt all your stress, bring u back alive, ignite a want, make u feel something is what good food is all about.. Its not about exotic dishes from unknown, far fetched places, its not about new cuisines, its not about signature dishes, its about recreating the magic of food... We have forgotten that down the line, why we all work so hard is for food... Its what drives to everything...and somehow we take that for granted... grabbing a bite on our way out, checking for the calorie list, finding things to do at the dinner table... etc etc...but if u notice, the day the food is really to your liking, for that short period of 15 mins or so, till u consume that bit u are lost in a world of sensory pleasures, of sheer delight, away from any coherent thought...Well that's because God made us to enjoy his blessing food... And thats where I step in too cook...I dont want u to recognise that ok this is a trademark my dish, or its the best, its new, its different...I just want u too get so lost in the food u don't acknowledge it, to make it a passion u are guilty about discussing, to be a sense of pleasure which gels in the background of your brain, only to be remembered, when you truly remember happiness and joy..

So I ended up blowing up his cell bill, coz we spoke for nearly one hour on this (ok ok I spoke for an hour), and then we ended up discussing the interiors of my restaurant, my first client would be him, how he'd like me to serve etc etc...It was special...All conversations with him are... but during this conversation one thing was born, his dream project, which touch wood he'll implement..:)

And that dear diary, is the wonder of good food and romancing the food my hobby... I love cooking, it makes me - me...I set myself free, be the true me, for the true to be...:) hence if I have to work then why not cook, I'll make myself happy while spreading the joy....

14 comments:

Voice said...

i love food :) and eating :)

watch the movie.. chocolat
imdb link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/


it is the best diary entry in last four entries (this entry included)

Anonymous said...

please pack: 1 plate of Chocolate , 1 plate of pizza, 1 plate of Rissotto,1 plate of Matar Kachori, 1 plate of Kebab, 1 plate of Gajar ka Halwa and send it to me immediately :D

Anonymous said...

mujhe chhole bhature chahiye :)

~bhav

Rohit Sharma said...

Sometimes I think, when I am not able to define my feelings, I should let you know what I am feeling and you will define it.
I term myself an epicurean and you have defined the pleasures associated when out of my 10 food experiments 1 gets succeeded.
You create such a restaurant of yours and you will find me in priveleged customers list. Haan bas ek hi fight hai tumhare restaurant mein Non-Veg nahin banega.

Anonymous said...

i also used to move behind my mom and help her in cooking but never learnt anything.:D
i totally agree with you.. food is not abt trying cuisines frm diff land but getting lost in food and feeling the pleasure while eating.
And also please pack and send me whatever you are cooking today. I am feeling hungry and want to eat sm really good food.:)

Voice said...

abhishek
aa gaye thakur
pehle hum log se to kuchh kha lo b-(

Deepshikha said...

voice/bhav: I have watched chocolat, n yeah its an awesome movie...:)
Thank u for liking it, it meant so much... and no parcels, u have to come and get it in the rest ;)


Ateet: come and get it, no parcels...:) thanks for liking my post sweets...

Roh: Aisi koi baat nahi hain, I dont write the way u suggesting i am..but thanks for making me happy :)I will make sure u enjoy the veg meals so much, ki u wont remember non-veg food...:D

Abii/RP: you commented last :( u learnt the other things from ur mom which i didnt from mine ;) so balance ho gaya... Do u have anything?u r never hungry...I call u Rolu Polu just like that only...x-(
but the comment was so sweet, thanks a ton jaan...

voice again/ bechare ko kuch khilaya? kya pata vizag main aapka kuch mile na mile ;)

Anonymous said...

i was out of town aur jahan gaya tha wahan fone ka network to tha nahi net kya hoga.
excuses excuses for not sending anything. x-(

Anonymous said...

the new blog template is awesome.. nice choice.

Voice said...

chocolat and is blog ka conection to samajh me aya na

Deepshikha said...

abi: thank u...i didnt like my prev template...so i was planning to change it for long time.. :)
chocolate bheja tha nah... aap vizag ka address de dena, aur bhej denge :D

voice: sorry tubelight nahi jala?

Voice said...

in that movie protagonist chocolat khila kar logo ki achhai ko jagati thi... somewhat similar to ur idea

jali??

and where is ur resturant?

Anonymous said...

U cook a lot better than u write... Missing the Deepshikha who used to floor me with her writings...all these are decent but not my little girls stuff...sorry am finally talking truth

Deepshikha said...

Ateet: love ya buddy, but u expect too much from me, u know i am not good at it :)