Wednesday, January 9

Eating out in Cal

I swear I hate the name Kolkata, no for no reasons, its just that I don't like my favourite things being altered for no rhyme or reason... So the thing is, I was going to Delhi, and one of my Delhite friends send me a blog address for the best places to eat in Delhi... Well I am not that a blogger, nor a foodie, but ya, I do have my favourite places to eat... Along with this I'd name a few more 'famous places' which u should try in Cal, well probably because there is nothing much to do otherwise... Warning contains only vegetarian places!!!!

Well I am not gonna arrange it in any semblance order, its just a list of places I remember...

#Sonar Gaon- The Taj Bengal, Belvedere Road
Well this always featured in my favourite paradises, but ranked a bit lower than Zaranj and Raj and Kalash...but surprise surprise, Its on the top now... Well this place is expensive, stinkingly so, I agree but then its worth the hole in your pocket... With a very apt decor of low rise tables and chairs, with stylish cutlery, yet giving you a very village feel en-excellance' is what Sonargaon signifies...Its delectable food with a soothing ambiance pampers u for choice... I have the toughest time choosing what to order... Its majorly famous also for its non-veg cuisine.
Cuisine type: North West Frontier cuisine (V&N)
My pick: hariyali sabji, Dahi Kebab, and Wakhari Paratha
U go poorer by: 3-course-meal- for- 2 Rs 1700 approx (incl of tax)


#Zaranj / Jongs- J.L.Nehru Road
Probably has been my Fav for the longest period, but very very slowly, I do see a decline in its quality...Though my family still swears by it, and I am yet to not love it anymore... It has the most amazing Dal Bukhara's in the city... Also houses the maker of the awesomest Lachchedaar Paratha's... The entire food is top bracket, which u could get modulated according to your wants of spicy, medium, etc... Very simple ambiance, very simple cutlery, yet elegant..The key to this place is the free-from-clutter environment, the peace and the simplicity, add to that great food and genuine warmth from the staff... It has an oriental cuisine wig also, which again is equally amazing... specially the center of the dining ares have a low seating arrangement... It also houses some nice spirits, though otherwise has the common fare
Cuisine: North west frontier.(V&N)
U go poorer by: 3-C-M-F-2- Rs 1200
My picks: Paneer Tikka, Lachchedaar Paratha, Dal

#Jalapenos- Camac Street
Well its an only vegetarian Italian food restaurant, but trust me it even makes me like pasta's... the decor is very basic, nothing very spectacular, nor is the service very great... But the food makes up for it... Has the most scrumptious Garlic breads, Nachos (its Mexican, still they have it) and Pasta's... but don't go expecting much of a crowd, it caters to families mainly and no alcohol...
Cuisine: Italian
Poorer by: Rs 500 for 2
My pick: Lasagna, Garlic bread and Tiramisu


#Raj: Manohar pukur road
Well I am not sure many of you would like the place after visiting it, because its located in a small hotel, is a Udipi cuisine restaurant, very very basic... But has the most most amazing South Indian... Love love the Sambhar... Its always a wait whenever u go there...
Cuisine: Udipi fare
My pick: Paper plain Dosa, Rawa Dosa and Dancing Coffee.
Pocket friendly: Maximum Rs150 for 2

#Flury's: Park Street
Very Victorian. Very English. That's the first thing that strikes me about this place... It emphasises the indelible mark left on Calcutta by British. It has the old world charm, even with the upmarket renovation, swank interiors yet it still has that old world charm... the nostalgia factor, the mystique, the grandeur of the unknown world.. That's what makes its food so special... entirely famous for Its Milk breads, pastries and Omelette's(never tried it, but who has never keeps shut about it)... U'll love it for its typical English menu... Hey! in the growing trend of theme restaurants, it could qualify as a British Coffee shop!!! :D
Cuisine:British, confectionery(V&N)
My pick: Beans on toast, earl gray tea, chocolate croissant and chocolate pudding...
Price buster: Rs400 for 2


#Peter Cat: Park Street
Again the old world charm, good food, average crowd, but scores high on nostalgia and feel good factor...Stands testimony to why Park Street was so famous...
Cuisine: Indian food (V&N)
My Pick: Well personally I havent been there, but have heard its non-vegetarian delicacies are more famous...
Price buster: Rs 700 for 2


#Chaat outside Vardaan, Camac Street
Well Calcutta is famous for its favourite Puchka's, Jhaal Muri, add to this Garam Dal Vada's served with spicy green chutney and garlic chutney, Moong Dal's Chilla with or without onion, served with the two same chutneys, Yellow beans (Pili matars) Garam Chaat, Its heaven for chaat lovers... The added advantage of shopping and eating is too much :)
My Pick: Garam Vada and Chilla
Price Buster: Chilla is for 20, Garam Vada is Rs 15 a plate containing 5 pieces, Puchka is 4 pc's for 5 rs, Jhaaalmuri is 10 for a packet...


#Puchka and Jhaalmuri At Russel Street
This place is jam packed whenever u go there... My favouritest place for puchka's and Muri, because this place truly has the most amazing ones... One advice stand there and keep trying spicy non-spicy, tamarind water, jaggery water with ur puchka's, u'll know why despite being banned for me, I cant live without them :)
Price Buster: Same as that for Vardaan, the price for puchka is standard in more or less all places...

#Puchka at Hindusthan Park
Well too many suggestion for places for puchka, but this place got the Khaibaar Paas (TOI awards for street food) award... There are many who sit here, but one lady is famous and u'll know who she is when u reach there... But personally I am not very fond of that place


#Bar-B-Q: Park Street
Good Chinese food, Great crowd, ok types ambiance and a regular youngsters joint is what this place is drumming with...
Cuisine: Chinese, Indian
My Pick: Spring Roll, American Corn salt and pepper
Damages: Rs 800 for 2


#Chinnoserie : Taj Bengal
Awesomest authentic Chinese, but low on decor, and price doesnt cover the pleasure like in Sonargaon...
Cuisine: Authentic Oriental
My Pick: Sweet Corn soup, Devils Choice and Dumplings
Poorer by: Rs2000 for two

For authentic Chinese China Town off Tangra is very very famous....

Well too many more places to eat, probably I'll write a second version also!! if ppl think this was decent...;)

3 comments:

Voice said...

this blog will certainly help me... :)

ache restaurants to hai hi but i like road side food too here
near karunamoyee u can get the best momo + sweets which i like soo much :)

in saltlake if u want ... u can try charnock city or sojourn or abcos or haveli or kafila or... (err getting too many ors :D )

Deepshikha said...

U toh are running away, why will this come in handy for u?

Nothing beats roadside food, trust me I agree....

I will probably write my second version with all these changes :)

Anonymous said...

SonarGaon is the best and I agree, u forgot Pulak's fav Kalash, Little Italy, Fire and Ice, Mama Mia, Melange

lol I agree the list is edless...
but make the next post on sweets of cal